Friday, January 26, 2007

Puzzling Signs and Simple Amusements

I saw a shop that said it had "Ladies Prices".

Eh?!? I didn't know we had separate prices. What's so special that needs to be sold differently depending on the alignment of your chromosomes?
---
Radio adverts are getting weird. One for improved local bank services includes the line, "OK, I need two pumpkin enchiladas, now!". I feel the need for someone to add, "Stat!" on the end, as it does sound like a very urgent request he's making. Also, the ad telling people about the availability of mp3 on your digital radio, contains this conversation:

WOMAN: You're listening to the football on your mp3 player?
MAN: It's not just an mp3 player, it's a digital radio!
WOMAN [in utter disbelief and confused surprise]: Really?!?

Surely it takes more than an Ipod with extras to confuse people? Though I'm not surprised people are mixed up, what with the sudden change in pricing regulations.
"But the box says £89.99!"
"That's the ladies' price, Sir. You could always buy the model without the radio."
"I suppose so. I'll just have to think of another way to confuse my wife. Maybe a radio... with a built in clock!"
"That's madness! Security!"

---
At some point this week, I will be getting a parcel through the door labelled 'Dr [inquus]'. Not because I have a PhD, I simply abused the web form options on HMV. Not as good as when I was ordering prospectuses when trying to choose universities, and there was an option to be posted to as a Rev., and in some cases, Captain.
---
I just remembered I have some chocolate-covered brazil nuts. [glees]